ATLANTA, August 9, 2022 – Work is progressing on our second NUTRAVA® Citrus Fiber production line in Matão, Brazil. The new build is well underway and expected to increase our total production capacity to nearly 5,000 metric tons, with options to further expand capacity
as needed in the future.
With global demand on the rise and limitless market potential, NUTRAVA® Citrus Fiber is definitely growing in its appeal. A renewed focus on healthier eating habits is driving the search for functional, nature-based ingredients. NUTRAVA® Citrus Fiber was developed specifically to help formulators meet consumer demand for foods and beverages with less sugar and less fat, as well as simpler, easily recognizable ingredients.
NUTRAVA® Citrus Fiber is upcycled from citrus peels, an abundant byproduct of the juice industry that populates the region where our plant is strategically located. With this great local source of raw materials at the ready, we are well-positioned to help formulators innovate a wide range of clean label-friendly products – from dairy and dairy alternatives to beverages, condiments, sauces, bakery, fruit-based applications, meats and plant-based meat alternatives.
“With the sheer scale of this project and ample capacity we are adding, CP Kelco is positioned to be the world leader in citrus fiber production.”
-Didier Viala, President
CP Kelco’s award-winning Matão facility is known for its commitment to sustainability. According to William Letsinger, Senior Director of Strategy, the new production line is being developed with the most efficient technologies to meet water, energy and emissions reduction goals, while also creating employment opportunities to help the local community. Our production of citrus fiber includes a proprietary and patented peel wash process, which drastically reduces the need for fresh water compared to traditional peel washing while also retaining a high level of pectin and soluble fiber. The project is scheduled for completion in Q3 of 2023.
Especially A-Peeling Facts about NUTRAVA® Citrus Fiber
- Officially launched in December 2019 at Food Ingredients Europe.
- Upcycled from citrus peels, an abundant byproduct of the nearby juice industry in Brazil.
- Our proprietary and patented peel wash process was designed to lessen its environmental impact by drastically reducing the use of fresh water as compared to traditional peel washing.
- In addition, our peel wash process helps to retain a high level of pectin and soluble fiber.
- Spent citrus peel is processed into animal feed. In 2020, we fed roughly 30,000 local farm animals with our BRASPOLPA® feed. What remains as liquid byproduct is distilled into FERPEC® organic fertilizer for nearby citrus orchards.
- A fiber ingredient, it can be listed as citrus fiber on the label and does not require an E number in Europe.
- Supports dietary fiber intake and offers unique water-binding and texturizing capabilities across many food and beverage applications.
- Key applications include dairy and dairy alternative products, beverages, condiments, sauces, bakery, fruit-based products, meats and plant-based meat alternatives.
- In certain applications, NUTRAVA® Citrus Fiber can help reduce use of or act as an alternative to starch, sugar, oil, locust bean gum, methylcellulose, egg and other ingredients that may be hard to source currently due to shortages and supply chain issues. Ask us for application recommendations.